The ‘Principles of Holism’ are admirably described by Dr. Julian N. Kenyon in his book ‘21st Century Medicine’. These, written below, show just how far orthodox Western medicine is presently from a philosophy of health that looks at the whole person.
1. Relatedness of all things is of major importance
2. The concept of balance as succinctly described by traditional Chinese medicine is an indicator of health
3. Disease is looked upon as an imbalance arising from a faulty relationship or relationships either inside or outside the patient. The key to cure is to look for and correct the relationship
4. A recognition of the importance of the environment in its material, psychological and social aspects
5. Any patient is a potentially self-healing system and can be aided on his way by means of therapies which are participatory rather than passive or suppressive
6. A devolution of power to the patient, with equal power sharing between doctor and patient
7. A preference for causally directed therapy as opposed to suppressive therapy
8. An acknowledgement of the spiritual nature of mankind and a recognition of the validity of subjective experience
9. A willingness to look at, to use and to assess all the natural therapies and an open-minded yet critical acceptance of the various theories of biological energy
10. Lastly, but most important of all, a recognition, probably for the first time in modern medicine, that the healer, the physician himself, should heal himself, as he has been the neglected part of the healing circuit for too long
In holistic terms you are the best person to be responsible overall for your health maintenance and treatment. Although your doctor may be a good first choice for diagnosis, only you can get deeply in touch with your condition for self healing. Only you know all the details and at some level your body actually knows what it needs. In our reductionist Western philosophy we have separated out ‘food’, ‘medicine’ and ‘health’ as different areas, mainly to serve the needs of consumer capitalism.
“Each patient carries his own doctor inside him. They come to us not finding that truth. We are at our best when we give the doctor who resides within each patient a chance to go to work”.
In a world going toxic, you owe it to yourself, your friends and your family to protect your very being, increase your immunity to modern disease and limit harm to our planet. With WildFood Wizard you enter a place of nutrition, of living lightly on the earth and enjoying radiant health. By bringing more of nature’s healing gifts into your life you will find a quiet joy, feelings of belonging, links with natural seasons and cycles – and nature wants you back.
We all know time is running out for our culture on planet earth. You can help by taking a step into a healthy relationship with the natural world around you. Start the journey back to nature with WildFood Wizard, available in hardback, paperback and for the Kindle. Just click the cover image to find out more…